The awesome visitors that came to see Lola - they brightened my day so much too!
An awesome date with Lucy at McDonalds. Check out her outfit...matches Ronald himself!
Breathing TreatmentWhat a rough horrible week we have had! I never like to post anything negative because who wants to read that but this can't go unblogged. To catch you up, check out my post right before this one, it will bring you up to speed.
We ended up spending 5 nights in the hospital with Lola as she fought the nasty RSV virus. It was the hardest I have been tested as a mother. Adam had been away on business in Baltimore when this all began. So we had not seen each other in 5 days, when he got home he had to stay with Lucy at home since Lola was in isolation and could not have anyone under 12 or anyone who was sick or could possibly be sick. Our experience at Driscoll was good and bad. On the good side, we had one AMAZING nurse. Her name was Sandra, she was the one person who helped in all of the major turns Lola made in the hospital. Lola was having a really hard time breathing due to this virus. I would sit and watch her fight for air - in fact that is what made me take her to the hospital in the first place. For 3 days nurses and doctors came in our room saying how strong Lola was, as I was looking at her oxygen stats in the low 80%. I kept questioning why this was so low, every single nurse and doctor told me the machine was not reading accurately. REALLY then why have it reading anything at all. Lola had a horrible cough and would throw up when the cough got bad enough. On day 3 nurse Sandra was on duty, came into our room and said "I really don't like her stats being so low. Let's put her on oxygen". GOOD IDEA. Right when she did this Lola began breathing at 97-100%. She all the sudden seemed better she was on 1 litter of O2 and was finally comfortable. We both got a great night sleep. Sandra has brought so much comfort. The next day the nurses began bringing her O2 down, she was not ready her stats would again drop. I was very persistent in keeping her at the 1 litter until the Dr. saw Lola. During her stay she was on breathing treatments every 4 hours. It seemed after every treatment she would have a hard time breathing but Dr.'s orders. It was suppose to help break up everything that was in her chest and lungs. Another day of set backs, her O2 level kept falling and the nurses once again blaming the machine. Since I had proof of higher O2 working I insisted it be moved up. I am not trying to toot my own horn but come on why were they so convinced she needed to be moved down and so fast. Much to our thankfulness Nurse Sandra was back on duty. She came in and was charting Lola's stats and realized that it was true after breathing treatments she would have set backs. She told the Dr. this as she came for the visit asking that Lola be taking off the treatments. The Dr. said we could try it and that is when we were able to start slowing moving the O2 level down for Lola. Within a matter of 4 hours Lola was breathing at 95-100% all on her own. Thank you Nurse Sandra for being smarter than any of the nurses and doctors and getting our baby to feel better.
Of course there was a lot more to this story, Lucy was home with RSV, double ear infection and diarrhea, Adam and I both had bad colds in which caused Adam some throwing up, therefore he had to stay away from the hospital. When we woke up Sunday morning we decided it was time to call for reinforcement and who did we turn to....AUNT FAVE! Megs was on the next flight out and arrived Sunday at 6:00pm to help. She came straight to the hospital after scrubbing down and masking her face to be with Lola so Adam, Lucy and I could spend some time together. The hospital had McDonal's on the first floor, Lucy thought Ronald McDonald was pretty cool. After we enjoyed some well needed time I went back to the hospital to be with Lola and Megs stayed a while to keep me company. Monday, Adam came to the hospital with me and this is when Sandra was on duty - and the day we were waiting for...going home. Megan was over cleaning our house. We had to sanitize EVERYTHING. Lysol was our new best friend.
Both girls had a dr. appointment the next day Tues for a follow up. They will both go back again tomorrow to make sure this virus is leaving.
I will be so happy when this is all behind us. For now, we will be staying home for a while. Doctors orders is to keep the girls away from crowded places, kids, and well people in general until they get their immune system back and very strong. We are taking this very serious because we don't want either girl to have to go through this again. We were suppose to be going to Dallas today to see my grandmother and have her get to meet Lola for the first time, we are both so disappointed. We also have plans to go visit Aunt Fave and Hunky at the end of February for a trip to Disney...we aren't sure we can do this either, we will be checking in with the doctor on that.
Thank you all for your prayers. It meant the world to our family!

9 comments:
I'm so glad that you and Lola are home. I can't even imagine how excited Adam and Lucy are. We will continue to keep both girls in our prayers. We love you.
Oh Sarah, I'm so glad the girls are better, but I hate that you all had such a hard week. I sat and cried while I read your blog (I'll blame it on pregnancy hormones). I'm so glad Megan was able to come in and help. I'll be looking forward to a good report from the Doctor. We're praying for you all!!!
Sarah and Adam, take the doctors orders very seriously, keep those babies home. Both great nieces had it when they were very young. It takes a while for everything to return to normal, congestion hangs on for a while so be careful. You are both such awesome parents and are blessed with such a wonderful network of friends and family. You will all still remain in our prayers. Hugs to all. Debbie and Sam
Oh my word girl! Wow that sounds absolutely hellish! Thank God Lola is home now. Seeing babies in hospital beds is heart breaking:( I can't imagine when it's your child. Hope you guys are able to get some rest...
Oh Sarah, I was tearing up as I read this! I am so sorry to hear your girls have been so sick. I pray that you are all feeling better and getting some rest. I will continue to lift you all up in prayer!
Oh Sarah I am so sorry. I am so glad she in home now and things are better. I can imagine the pain you had to go through watching your helpless little baby struggle. My cousins little boy has RSV too and had to spend a few days in the hospital. I guess it is pretty bad right now. You are in our prayers. Love you.
I'm so glad Lola is safe and sound at home! This year has been a horrible year for RSV! I hate the winter now!!! Hope everyone is well and recooperated!
Sarah, so glad to hear you are finally home. I can't imagine how exhausting and scary this was for you! Let me know if you need anything from afar! Take care!
This is so scary and the exact reason why we had to do RSV lockdown with the triplets. So glad she is better and you made it through the tough few weeks. I'm sure the grandparents were worried sick!
Post a Comment