Monday, November 14, 2011
Please say it isn't so
So today I took Hank to the eye doctor because he has a blocked tear duct. We have been fighting it since birth. He has been on 3 different eye drops and nothing seems to get better. Our pediatrician got us an appointment for an opthomologist today to have it assessed to see what we need to do next. WELL YIKES! I went in thinking we were talking tear ducts and left in tears myself. They told me Hank is far sided and needs glasses. WHAT? Are you kidding. This wasn't on my radar at all. He is 4 months, I have never seen a baby this little in glasses. He tracks so well and follows everyone. He is very alert and we have had no signs at all he was having trouble. Adam and I have done lots of homework and are going to get a second opinion in Austin. We have had more than a few major health issues with dealing with the medical field in Corpus and we are done with it. We called a opthomologist friend (my parents eye dr) who said things just didn't seem to add up after telling him all we went through today. If Hank has to have glasses Adam and I will be happy to get them for him but we are not convinced this is an accurate reading. Anyone have insight? More to come I am sure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Well if Hank needs glasses he will be the cutest little boy ever in his specs! I hope everything turns out okay - hang in there.
I have never heard of such a thing! Poor little guy and you too! I will be interested to hear what the 2nd opinion says! Unfortunately no insight here, but will be praying for you guys!
Sorry to hear that Sarah. The lens in babies and children's eyes is very "flexible" and can easily accommodate when they aren't seeing clearly to allow them to see more clearly. This could account for the fact that Hank appears to see well but maybe his eyes are working extra hard to make that happen. This also makes it harder to refract children and figure out what strength glasses they might need. The ophthalmologist I used to work for did the kids refractions himself using the retinoscope. Anyway...just some background info for you :) good luck with the second opinion. And by the way, there are some really good docs here in town...sorry you've had such bad luck with them :( If you ever need suggestions, let me know and I can ask around if I don't know someone good!!!
Post a Comment