Saturday, October 29, 2011

Lola visits the hospital...again

Poor Lola, she has the worst luck. On Wednesday I got a call from the sitter that Lola didn't seem like herself. She said she didn't have a fever but just wanted to be held. I had a franchise owner in town and was working Monday - Wednesday and we had plans to leave for Florida on Friday to visit Uncle and Fave and for Adam to compete in a 1/2 iron man. I was thinking she was just worn out from having some extra play time while I was away and being away from home. We were all pretty worn out so on Thursday which would normally be a school day I decided to keep the kids home so they were charged up for our trip. Lola who normally sleeps great was a early riser and sounded like she had a frog in her throat. Still no temp. I put her down for nap early and noticed her breathing became labored. I called the doctor asking if they thought I should bring her in. They recommended it would be good just for a check up. I ended up calling Adam so I could drop off Lucy and Hank at his office because Lola went from bad to worse. She was having a hard time catching her breathe, wheezing, and coughing. As I was in the waiting room I began getting really worried and by the time the doctor saw Lola she was really sounding terrible. The doctor wanted us to get admitted at the hospital to monitor her breathing. She had a bad cause of Croup. I had heard of croup before but never where you had to go to the hospital. It was terrible. On top of having croup she was dehydrated so they had to put her on an IV. That was the absolute worst 30 minutes of them trying to find a vein that would work. She was strapped to a table crying saying "Hold me Mommy" It was breaking my heart. Lola would cough so much she would throw up. The hospital was so delayed in helping us cleaning up and it was just a horrible experience. At about 8pm that night they gave her a steroid shot to help reduce the swelling in her air passage - this came 6 hours after the doctor ordered it. Words do not describe how terrible the hospital was to us in a time of need. PRAISE GOD that steroid began to help! She was doing so much better within an hour. Adam was able to get Lucy and Hank asleep and come up to visit for a while. Lola fell asleep on me and we slept the night in the hospital chair. The next day she was so much better aside from her cough and ate some peaches. We were released at about noon. The rest of the weekend we laid low. Lola was so awesome and so cooperative. I was so proud of her!


2 comments:

The Milam's said...

Lola, we are so glad you are feeling better. No more hospitals for a while, okay.

the diaz family said...

poor girl!!!