Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Happy 95th Birthday to my Tattooed Gram!

We had the great honor to take a trip to celebrate my Gram turning 95! What a great milestone. The kids were rock stars on our 9 day trip, sleeping in hotels, meeting a ton of new people and getting very little sleep. It is a blessing to have such an amazing family to share these amazing life events with. 

Lucy and Lola all jazzed up at the airport!

 Another great event that took place was my sweet niece Harper got baptized. Not only is that amazing but she got to be baptized in the same church my Dad got baptized and where my parents got married. I can't get over her cuteness - she seriously smiles more than any person I know - so full of life!!
Here is our entire family outside the beautiful St. Peter's Church in Kansas City
 My parents and sisters. A rare picture these days...so blessed by them - I could just say a snapshot of my best friends, of course missing my greatest friend - my hubs Adam!
 My cousin Amy and her daughter Molly - 2 total favorites of ours!
 Papa Newt & Grammie with the grandkids - Kilian missed this picture as he was napping. 
 OK so this is where the real fun comes in! My adorable grandmother, whom we call Gram. We all went to Kansas City to honor her on her 95th birthday. Her children hosted a beautiful Sunday afternoon lunch at her country club and everything was just perfect! We were all enjoying a fabulous lunch when my cousin Amy (seen above) got up and with the most nervous shake in her voice said "I have something to tell everyone. Gram told me never to tell anyone and I have held this secret for 3 years. She has been so afraid her children would be upset with her"  - my mind starts racing...is Gram dating? Does she have another child...what could it be? Then Amy says "3 years ago Kyle (her son) and I took Gram to get a tattoo" - the room roared laughing. Gram was giggling like a little school girl. Here is a picture of her at the tattoo parlor. 
 Here she is at her birthday party showing off her tattoo. Something so funny was she had to get a release from her doctor because of her age -so she went to the tattoo parlor with a dr.'s note saying she was "cleared to get a tattoo". Isn't she simply stunning!!!! I still crack up picturing her sitting there getting a tattoo!
On our trip we stayed in hotels for 9 nights. That is a huge challenge with 3 small children and sleeping schedules. I am proud to say we made the most of it and traveling with little ones is getting much easier. Room service makes everything more fun!!!

Out to dinner with Molly, Amy, Gram, Fave, Harper and my crew!
 Lucy, Lola & Hank had a blast playing at Grams house with all of her stuff! As you can tell from the tattoo and all the shamrocks behind Lucy while she is holding the Irish flag - my Gram is Irish!
 After hard days of playing the kids would crash out - and enjoyed sleeping with mom and dad!


Something I always want to remember is Lucy has 2 imaginary friends - she has had them for about a year and a half. They are 2 sons one is named Robert and he is 49 and her other one is Jeff who is 1 year old. While in Kansas City she told me that they lived in KC...she took me into one of Gram's rooms in her house and explained it was where Robert and Jeff stay. She said "unfortunately, they aren't here to meet you but I know they will think you are lovely" - I just want to bottle that imagination up!!! 

2 comments:

The Milam's said...

Your Gram is awesome!!!!!!!!!!

Tracy said...

This is fantastic Sarah!!